Kevin Hennah has carried out approximately 2000 onsite consultations at libraries internationally. His keynote presentations and workshops have been delivered throughout Asia, Europe, The UAE, The USA, Canada and Australia. He has a wealth of ideas to share and is passionate about keeping libraries relevant.
Kevin’s background includes over 20 years experience working with international retail brands such as The Body Shop, Kathmandu, OshKosh and Westfield on store design, layout and visual merchandising.
In 2002 he made the transition to work with libraries on strategies to maximise productivity of space, improve presentation and maintain relevance. His understanding of the operational requirements of libraries is coupled with practical advice that is sensitive to budget restrictions and challenges traditional thinking. He is the Author of The Victorian Public Libraries’ Image Handbook and the featured author in Re-think, Ideas for Inspiring School Library Design.
Kevin has input into the design of dozens of new libraries internationally. He also provides guidance to library staff on the coordination of self-managed makeovers at all budget-levels. Through this process, he has helped clients achieve a significant increase in usage by creating what he refers to as the ‘Post-Internet Library’ – a level playing ground between print and online resources.
As an extension of his conference presentations, Kevin has developed a suite of library-specific workshops exploring innovation in library design, layout, furnishings, navigation and signage. His workshops have been delivered throughout Australia as well as The USA, Canada, Japan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, The Philippines, Laos, Qatar, Dubai, New Zealand, Romania and Belgium.
Some of Kevin Hennah’s work to date has included:
• Design input into dozens of Australian School Libraries as part of the Building Education Revolution Project (Australian, Federally funded economic stimulus package known as The BER Project)
• VISION 2020 Workshop: Maintaining Relevant Libraries (2017 launch)
• Cultural Weeding Workshop: Creating a Level Playing Ground Between Print & Online Resources (2012 launch)
• ID Workshop: Exploring Signage, Branding & Navigation in Libraries (2009 launch)
• Rethink Reinvent Rejuvenate: Interior Design, Layout & Visual Merchandising for Libraries (2008 launch)
• Workshops delivered by invitation in The USA, Canada, Japan, Laos, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, Dubai, Doha, Romania & Belgium
• 2014 Keynote presenter at The Council of European International Schools Triennial conference, Waterloo, Belgium
• Design support projects in Japan, Hong Kong, Laos, Malaysia, Singapore, The Philippines, Thailand, India, Italy & Romania
• Creative concepts (consults) for low-budget makeovers to over 500 libraries throughout Australia (including Public, Primary & Secondary Schools, TAFEs, Universities & special libraries)
• Featured author in School Library Association of Victoria publication ‘Re-think! Ideas for inspiring school library design’ (2007)
• Author of Victorian Public Libraries Image Handbook (2005)
• Keynote/guest speaker at numerous school and public library conferences throughout Australia since 2004. Including Somerset International Festival of Literature. Reading Critical Conference. ALIA National Library Technicians Conference. National Mobile Library Muster